Creative ideas and uses
Make a table
To make a coffee or bedside table, use large interesting pots or containers for table bases. Top with glass or treated wood.
Make a water feature or fountain
Make a water feature out of a stylish or interesting pot and create a Zen atmosphere in your garden. Seal your drainage hole, add a submergible pump, some water and voila!
Create a defined space
Create outdoor ‘rooms’ by arranging pots together in patterns and designs. Line up pots on each side of a path to create a hallway. Define a patio or deck corner by setting and lining up containers at a right angle. Define the space further by using tall container plants (ficus trees, trellised-ivy) to give the space extra privacy and a cosier feel.
Some pots are pieces of art in their own right. Make a fashion statement by placing interesting pots within your garden, on the edge of your deck or patio, around a pond, etc.
Prop it up
Turn containers upside down and top off with potted plants – instant plant stand!
Store frequently used garden tools, seed packets, gloves, etc. in old or unused pots.
Decorate clay pots
Plants are such a great way to adorn your home, and what better way than to decorate the clay pots they are displayed in. Follow these simple steps to unleash your creativity:
- Lay down newspaper or brown paper – whatever you have on hand will work to cover up the surface of your table
- Wash the clay pots with a hot water and soap
- Once dry, use a pencil to trace your design onto the pots
- If you want to mix a lighter colour or a darker colour than the acrylic paint you have on hand, a paper plate works well for this
- Paint the pots with acrylic paint and leave to dry